The mission of Sumatanga is to create a dynamic environment of Christian hospitality and learning. This environment and the experiences we provide are designed to help people:
Quick Reference Q & A For Parents & Campers:
What time does CHECK-IN START?
What time is CHECK-OUT TIME
PLEASE REMEMBER TO CHECK WITH YOUR CHILD’S COUNSELOR BEFORE LEAVING.
How much MONEY should by camper bring for canteen and crafts?
· Canteen and crafts are included in the cost of registration for Parent/Grand Camps, Day Camps, Taste of Camps, and Elementary Camps.
· $20.00 is a suggested amount for canteen and crafts for all other campers.
· Each camp will collect money for a mission fund. Please feel free to donate what you are comfortable in giving.
How can I contact my camper while they are at Sumatanga?
· You can mail letters to your campers at: Camper’s Name, Name of Camp, 3616 Sumatanga Road, Gallant, AL 35972.
· During registration, we will have a station where you can write your camper a note for each day of the week. They will be handed out during mail call each day along with letters from the post office.
· If your camper is coming with a group, feel free to send a large envelope with daily notes for your camper. They will be handed out each day along with all other mail.
· In the case of an emergency, please call (256)538-9860. All calls after hours will be redirected to the manager on duty.
What should my camper bring?
Those housed at the Retreat Centers will have linens provided.
Those housed at Pool Camp or the Lodge will need twin being (sleeping bag or sheets and a blanket), bath towel, wash cloth.
Everyone should bring:
· REUSABLE WATER BOTTLE (labeled)
· Pen and paper
· Toiletries (soap, toothbrush, deodorant, etc)
· Swim suit (Boys-Trunks and Girls- modest tankini that covers midriff or one-piece) and beach towel
· Closed-toe shoes and sandals for pool (creek-wading shoes)
· bug spray and sunscreen
· CAMERA (NO PHONES ALLOWED)
· Bag for wet clothes
· Money for canteen, offering, etc.
· Clothing for all days with a few extra outfits (no spaghetti straps or short shorts and no tank tops with oversized arm holes)
This year, we are having camp-wide THEME DAYS!
· Sunday - Sumatanga Sunday (Wear your favorite camp shirt!)
· Mondays - Mighty Mondays (Superheros)
· Tuesday - TieDye or Tube sock Tuesday
· Wednesday - Awareness Wednesday (Show your support for your favorite charity/organization)
· Thursday - Throwback Thursday
· Friday - FREEDOM FRIDAY
For those involved with horse camp:
· Long pants for riding (you cannot ride in shorts)
· Cowboy boots or shoes with a heel and smooth soles
· (Optional) Riding Helmet
Optional packing list:
· Rain jacket
· Small backpack
What should my camper not bring?
· Weapons, including but no limited to knives
· Electronics, including phones
· Anything of significant value (jewelry, computers, etc.)Clothing should not contain any foul language or pictures of firearms, alcohol or tobacco advertising.